UCP’s Birth to 3 serves families with infants and toddlers with developmental delays and disabilities. Eligible families reside in Dane County (but outside of the Madison Metropolitan School District) or anywhere throughout Rock County.
Through UCP, families can expect to be assigned a Primary Coach who supports their family in turning their daily routines into learning opportunities for their child through coaching, modeling and information sharing. The family and Primary Coach are part of an extensive team of UCP professionals who are available to support all areas of development and concerns as needed. Examples of professionals who may make up a family’s team may include a early childhood special education teacher, speech-language pathologist, physical therapist, occupational therapist, etc.
Additionally, a Service Coordinator is also assigned to each family. Their role is to work with each family to assure that their child’s Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP) addresses their goals and to provide resources and links to other necessary community resources when appropriate.
As parents, you have a very important role in Birth to 3 services. Your active participation with your child is key. You know your child and family best: your routines and favorite family activities, interests and abilities. Because our approach is reinforced through evidenced-based practice we know that:
- A child and family benefit from combining everyday activities, a child’s interests, and parent support;
- All families, with necessary supports and resources, can enhance their children’s learning and development; and
- Families are more satisfied with services when a primary coaching approach is used.
- Everyday activities occurring in the family home or community are great sources for a child’s learning opportunities;
- Children learn best during activities that they find fun and interesting; and
- Families feel more fulfilled when early intervention services are based on the child’s and families’ needs and family-identified priorities.